Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Worm’s First Concert


I’m not much of a concert goer, the Mr. is more of the live music kinda person. It’s not that I don’t like concerts, it’s just that I started pretty late, tickets are wildly expensive, and I got trampled at a weekend concert a few years ago. So it takes quite the concert for me to book an evening and drop one hundred euros, and then only if I have an assigned seat.

Last night was one of those rare nights: Roger Water’s The Wall.

It really isn’t enough to write that the concert was the best I have ever seen by miles and miles and miles. The Wall is a mix of amazing and timeless music; clever and up-to-date political protest of everything from Hilter to out-of-control capitalism; and a cutting-edge and exhilarating theater production.

Throughout the first part of the concert a wall is slowly built across the stage until the band is hidden behind the wall. Sounds strange? It feels even stranger; it is uncomfortable, almost painful. The picture stinks, but you can get a feel for what the wall looked like:


Just as the wall is finished, then the intermission offers an opportunity to remember a number of people who died in conflicts all over the world, none of them terrorists but many of them civilians. Their pictures are displayed across the wall with short specs of their life and death.

In the second half of the concert, well, words rarely fail but this time you’ve just gotta get a ticket and see it for yourself. Or patiently search through youtube.com for enough amateur videos to watch the concert from your couch. Or, if you don’t trust me, check out this review with pictures and videos from someone far more qualified than I am.

Long story, short: totally worth suffering through heartburn, back pain, swelling feet, and a little worm that is either the biggest Pink Floyd fan ever or was really pissed off at the noise. Don’t worry, I was a responsible mommy-to-be: doctor gave me the go ahead and I took a cushion along.




xo

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...