Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Dear Driver of The Big Shiny Car

Dear driver of the very nice, very fast car with the license plate PF US XXX,


I will be praying for you and your family. Lord knows someone was out there praying for me and mine this morning. Otherwise I just can't explain how you failed to total our cars and kill one or both of us.


We both have families with little ones. In fact, they spend their days just across the road from each other: yours at the school and mine at the day care. I think seeing you with your child and carrying mine in my heart always, your behavior this morning is especially bizarre to me. Maybe you were just in a hurry, running late like I was this morning too. Or maybe you have a new car - it is a really nice looking car - and you are still enjoying its powerful pick-up. Or maybe you are a thrill seeker and seek out opportunities for a rush. I don't know why you almost ran me into incoming traffic by coming up so hard and fast on my right side in a zipper formation in the center of Schwetzingen.

Or maybe you are American and you don't know how to drive in a zipper or that passing on the right is all sorts of illegal in Germany? And that the speed limit is a pretty tight 50 kilometers an hour within German towns?

Whatever the reason might have been, we were both lucky (blessed?) that my grandfather rammed defensive driving into me between the ages of 16 and 28. Each time he rode with me, he drove me crazy with his reminders to pay attention - know what and who is on the left, the right, headed towards me and always repeating "its better to be alive, than to be right." 

For example this morning, did you see the massive construction vehicle headed towards us? Well, actually headed towards me before you whipped past me, partially cutting me off and mostly pushing me into the left lane. Have you ever driven a vehicle that large? I haven't but I did drive a tractor more than a couple times and I took physics in college. Maybe you don't realize that a vehicle that massive cannot stop as quickly as, say, your very nice car. Even if that driver had been the best driver in the entire world, he or she couldn't have really done a whole lot if I hadn't first seen you coming, aggressively, on my right and slammed onto my breaks hard and long.

Did you hear the screech of my tires? Those of the cars behind us? Did you hear the horns of other drivers, shocked and angry? Did you see the driver of the construction vehicle hit the breaks hard too? Did you see how close it got?

Did you see me survive?

Or were you already too far ahead, too focused on your own world, too ignorant to realize what you had just done?

I don't know. I just know that I am so thankful that someone was praying for me and my family. I am thankful that my grandfather drove me nuts. I am so thankful that I was in our very nice, big Mercedes this morning and not in our little, sweet VW.

Tonight, when I see my family, I am going to hug them hard. I hope you will to. We are so lucky to enjoy our families, to watch our little ones grow, and to be their parents. I don't know about you, but I want a lot more time with my child and my husband. I want many more mornings, afternoons, evenings, and, yes, even crazy, interrupted nights.

So, please, the next time you are behind the wheel of your fancy car, could you please remember your family? I assume that they love you, that they want more time with you, and that they are particularly happy to see you in normal clothes, rather than a prison uniform, and sitting in your living room, rather than laying in a casket.

And please, please, please also remember that your fellow drivers have families too and none of us want to host a funeral for a young mommy, especially for one who dies for absolutely no reason at all.

All the best,       Pickle

4 comments:

MrsJ said...

yeah, ticket please, sister. I'm ready to get in someone's face.

Surpassing the aggression that I have towards this person, I am SO HAPPY THAT YOU ARE OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

huge hugs sent to you

Peter Roberts said...

Terrible story, but so incredibly well written. I think it's one of your best.

callmemama said...

Oh my. So glad you're okay! What a scary moment!

Pickles and Onions said...

I will admit it: I have been hoping to meet this person again while dropping off PJ. I'm still shaken up. Still so thankful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...