Friday, October 22, 2010

Trying Something New

I enjoy writing and it enjoys me. My life is better when I'm writing. It really doesn't matter what I'm writing, just that it is happening. I studied creative nonfiction at the University of Pittsburgh; wrote a weekly column for Duquesne University while studying abroad; filled journal after journal with my thoughts and ideas; and have somehow managed to keep this blog going to the tune of 40some readers per post…I think I can say that I can string some words together.

Recently I've been stringing words together in a totally new way: I'm writing a story about characters doing stuff that has never really happened.

Yeah, we can call it fiction.

The thing is, I don't really know much about writing fiction. As in: I know nothing about writing fiction. Over the past few months I've been trying to learn something. I've been making the German section of Amazon's stock price soar as I buy out all the English fiction writing books. I’ve been cruising blog after blog after blog and watching too many vlogs, especially from the plot whisperer. Most importantly, I’ve been giving it a shot.

Here is me giving it a shot at plotting with post-it notes across our living room floor. Is it the right way? I dunno. Will I get where I need to? Yeah, I dunno about that either. Am I have a great time? Absolutely!

 
 
xo

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...