Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Most Glorious Sound of All

After choosing to hang out in his luxurious and rent free studio apartment for an extra 10 days, our little guy roared into the world yesterday.

On Wednesday a stress test showed some signs of difficulty for him, so I was checked into the hospital for an induction. Thursday was a long and boring day full of almost hourly check-ups for both of us but without any signs of moving towards birth. On Friday morning we started the same routine at 8am, then the Mr. and I ate some breakfast and then took a nice long walk about a beautiful Heidelberg neighborhood. I had a few mildly uncomfortable contractions during the walk but nothing to write home about. I was gearing up for another long, boring day.

I showed up for another standard check-up at 12:30 and this is where it all sort of blurs. Between 12:30 and when PJ arrived around 15:30, I went from expecting a long, boring day to being a mommy of a healthy, long little boy.  Somewhere in between there I was convinced I peed on a midwife (just my water breaking); yelled at that same midwife to, quote, “make it stop” (and that was the nice stuff); fell in love with the anesthesiologist (I believe I may have told her that I love her an embarrassing number of times); gave the Mr. a hell of an upper body work-out while he helped hold me still enough to push; screamed “what are you doing to me?” at two doctors that were inserting some sort of vacuum device and the midwife was literally leaning on the top of my uterus to rush PJ out because his heart wasn’t beating (thank goodness they ignored me and got the job done); and lots more that I didn‘t quite catch.

The blur stopped when PJ was safely out, heart going, lungs working and he let out the Most Glorious Sound of All: his first, loud, seriously pissed off and, most importantly, healthy cry. That moment when he took a deep breath and then let it rip was the moment. The moment my nightmares disappeared and I heard, “I am here, I am alive, I am healthy. Here me roar.”

Welcome to the party little man. Thanks for joining us.











xo

8 comments:

starryfright said...

Isn't it funny how all the bad stuff is faded in your memory, and overshadowed by the beautiful little cries of your new baby. I'm so happy for you three.

Mary Craig said...

Long toes and fingers? That was my Miriam (and continues to be the case). Don't hold back on details, when you're ready. And maybe you've said already, but what's PJ stand for?

Lil Koala said...

Wonderful wonderful news and about time. Good to hear it was a rather speedy occasion with the vacuum you "fondly" told me about! If you need anything brought to you in hospital or home, I'm around :) Congrats to you and the Mr, welcome PJ!

Anna Eaton said...

Holy Moly, sounds like a crazy birth. Im so glad everything turned out well. The first is always the hardest. Makes you wonder how we survived as a species.

EcoGothMom said...

Congratulations!! He is gorgeous. And what a whirlwind birth.

Nancy L said...

Okay, that is a heck of an eviction... This guy is all about waiting until the last minute and then breaking records!

Holy Moly WOMAN. You've become a BIG MAMA.

Everyone is breathing peacefully now.

Pete said...

Welcome PJ, well done Nicole & Dominik, look out world!

Markus said...

Hello PJ and congrats to Mr and Mrs - good job! I'm curious what PJ stands for. :-?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...