Monday, October 28, 2013

The Jelly Bean Story in Pictures

The past two weeks have been one hell of a wild ride. Instead of blocks of text and details no one (but my mother) would care about: pictures with commentary!

Okay, okay, if you've been reading this blog or listening to me complain the past 10 months, my pregnancy with jelly bean wasn't so easy. On Tuesday, October 8, another round of ickiness started and it was bad enough that I called my doctor. She asked me to please come into the hospital...and off we went.

 
And I was admitted. My boys had to leave me there. I may have cried over it.
 
The next day, Wednesday and one day before our estimated due date, we started an induction. I was two minds about it because while an induction went well with PJ, I wanted that experience of labor starting naturally this time. I even had some romantic images of driving to the hospital in contractions. But in the end, the Mr. and I decided to go ahead with another induction based on all of my ongoing health challenges and the doctor's concern about jelly bean and her "tired" placenta.
 
 
The contractions started pretty quickly but not a whole lot was happening towards labor for the first two days. Frankly, it was pretty boring, especially since the staff was concerned that I could be infectious and encouraged me to avoid all the other patients.
 
Thankfully, my boys came to visit me and we spent some time on the playground of the hospital. And I did get that "labor starting slowly" experience...for over two days.


But the second day, Thursday, I was smiling on the outside but I wasn't so thrilled on the inside. It was just like with PJ all over again...and then BAM! on Friday evening, October 11, at 6:30pm my water broke. Just three and a half (very loud) hours later, our little girl burst onto the scene.


Since it was a slow night for the hospital, we got to hang out for a few hours in their amazing birthing rooms getting to know each other.

The next day PJ got to come in and meet his little sister. His first words were, "Mein baby halten!" (hold my baby!) Which he did, like the excellent big brother he is.


And even better: I got to hold my two babies at the same time, one in each arm. Its true: moms' arms really do grow to make more space for each baby.


And then we got our first family portrait. Handsome group, I'd say.

Jelly bean and I stayed in the hospital until Monday. We slept a lot.


Then on Monday I got my last check up: no temperature, no pain, and I was released to go.


Yet, just shortly after we got home, I wasn't feeling so great. In fact, I felt like I was having contractions again and then suddenly I got freezing cold. I took some pain killers and tried to relax on the couch.


It didn't help. Instead, it got worse. I called my midwife who was concerned at what I described; took my temperature (over 38 degree Celsius after pain killers); and off we went back to the hospital. On the way there, the contractions increased and I felt like I was in labor again.

I got to experience that whole contractions-in-the-car bit and trust me: its not that great. Be careful what you ask for, the gods are always listening.

Upon arrival at the hospital - on the same day I was released (only me, people, only me!) - I was diagnosed with Endometritis. To help my body push out the infection as well as heal, I got pumped full with antibiotics, contraction-creating medicines, and (thankfully!) pain meds. From Monday until Wednesday I was in labor again...but I had already had my baby.

That will fuck with your mind. Just saying.

In the end Jelly Bean and I were in the hospital for over a week while the Mr. held down the fort at home and PJ dealt with his mommy being away for the first time ever. We did it all with as much grace as one can expect in the real world.


And, if I may brag for a moment please, Jelly Bean nursed through it all. That's right: I nursed my baby girl while I was going through contractions and - to quote the doctor - had a wound the size of my baby on the inside of my body. And to also quote one of my amazing nurses, that makes me one hell of a badass.

Finally on Tuesday, October 22, Jelly Bean and I finally got to go home for real. Thankfully we still have a midwife coming regularly; PJ gets to play at his kindergarten during the day; and the Mr. still has some vacation. Together, we are all easing into being a family of four.

I'm healing and gaining strength. Jelly Bean is getting some fat on her. The Mr. is still holding down the fort. And PJ is getting use to his baby being around so much. In other words, the adventure continues.



xo

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...